Wacom o wacom

11:02 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Placeholder for an idea I was playing with today (pics when I actually do it).

I disassembled my Wacom Bamboo today and broke the touch-sensitive scroll button. Woops. Being me, had I known I still would have done it (maybe more carefully). I discovered the panel inside is a decent amount smaller and thinner than the protective case (6.5" by 7 5/8"). In other words, it could be made more portable for taking to school...as well as camouflaged. The plan is to put it inside a composition book.

The other "hack" (hehe) is coming in the mail (who would have thought you couldn't buy these in stores anymore?) Remember those "magic slate" drawing tablets for kids? They're made of a tinted plastic sheet over a sheet of black plastic/wax, you write with a plastic stylus, and you lift the plastic sheet to clear the screen... Well, combine that idea with the lack of direct feedback you get from a drawing tablet (drawing on a pad while looking at the screen is hard to get used to!). They sell Wacom pens that draw in ink too but they're kind of expensive. I made a prototype drawing pad (had to order the magic slate online, so while I'm waiting on a proper one) from a sheet of colored (for candle-decorating) wax and some translucent fabric. I used it with Inkwell (Apple's handwriting-recognition technology) and to insert little doodles into my notes, and it works awesome. Yay!

0 comments: