fuzzy

11:52 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
Halloo. Haven't posted in a while but it seemed like a good idea tonight. I tried to start another blog on crafty stuff but I can't stay on topic to save my life so I'm lumping it all back together.

First: The Dark Knight, a review for the faint of heart.

Note: SPOILER ALERT and so forth. There is crafty stuff further down, skip to that if you don't want the movie ruined.

I did some review-reading and it seems as though everyone's favorite part was how amazing the Joker was. Sucks for me because I missed most of the scenes with him in it. :) See, I don't handle jump-out-at-you or gory bits in movies well at all. And by don't handle I mean I cover my eyes and sometimes ears when I think there might be one (but of course I love plot details so when it's safe to come out I bug whoever is watching next to me to explain what happened, fair warning not to watch movies with me). So that pencil thing...I did not find out nor do I want to know where it ended up, thank you kindly. And I wish I'd missed the part about his dad but it turns out to be quite difficult to block your ears properly when sitting in the front row at an imax movie (we got there a bit late). However, it was worth it to hear Heath Ledger's freaking amazing and classic "why so serious??"...amazing and indelible.
I'm still a little torn up about the whole Rachel/Harvey/Bruce subplot. I didn't lose hope until right at the end that they'd find her in some other warehouse, slightly peeved and hungry but otherwise unharmed. I was reminded gently that we did actually see the explosion and her in the same shot. Sniff.
I thought this over for a while and I decided it wasn't that she thought less of Bruce because he didn't stand up and take the fall rather than having Harvey do it. She realized she could never really have him, whereas Harvey was genuinely hers...to the point where he broke when he lost her. Poor Batman's pretty good at loving and taking care of people without asking anything in return ("you don't have to thank me") or being loved back (letting them chase him at the end). Though in the end Rachel showed she was human when she went back on her promise to him, and I'm not so sure he could be there for someone real, he'd internalized too much of his own legend.

Completely different topic: I found an awesome yarn store in Tempe! It's called Tempe Yarn and Fiber and it's super close to where I used to live. I was excited because I'm always looking for cool non-chain crafty stores here, I miss that like crazy about the Bay Area. I don't really knit, but I like looking at pretty yarn so I went and checked it out. They have a very nice selection (from a non-expert's point of view) and the ladies who worked there were super friendly. This made me feel rather bad that I hadn't planned on buying anything until I noticed their fleece section in the back. Omigoodness they have the most beautiful colors, and having been used to working with regular wool roving I was not prepared for how amazingly soft merino is. Soooooooooooooooft oh. <3 Plus...it's not that expensive! Most of it was $2.00 an ounce, and an ounce is a lot for someone who likes making teeny things. I picked out six colors and got a half-ounce each (got a lesson when I watched the lady pull off the right amount for me: tearing off bits is much much better than cutting them). I should post the colors but I'll post something I made with them for now. The hair is this incredible purple multicolor mixture with silk in it, it absolutely needed to be mermaid hair.

Behold a sea girl and her Merbie.














ALSO someone left cran-grape juice in my fridge and he is wonderful.

1 comments:

TrampledbyGeese said...

Mmmmmmm.... Merino.

That's a good price, especially if it's dyed and/or blended with lovely, lovely silk.

Great mermaid.